Friday, January 24, 2014

Make a Statement with Graphics

One of my favorite makeovers to give a piece of furniture is to paint a large graphic on it. It turns ordinary furniture into an instant statement piece. No matter what your style or taste, find or design the right graphic, and you will have something that becomes the anchor in the room.

graphic via the graphics fairy


graphic via google

Other than Googling images, one of my favorite go to places for great graphics -- especially those gorgeous french typography and advertising graphics, is The Graphics Fairy. If you haven't been to this site yet....GO! She has an enormous collection of beautiful vintage graphics for just about anything you want to create. She has taken the time to edit and manipulate them (even reverse prints for iron transfers, etc) in to user friendly and printable files. Yes....I love you Miss Graphics Fairy! You make me happy!

graphic via the graphics fairy

graphic via the graphics fairy


I get asked how I do it a lot. I use the projector method. Yep...the same projectors our teachers used in school. I project the graphic on the piece of furniture and then paint it on.While there is no lengthy set of instructions, you do need a steady hand and know how to manipulate your brushes. This takes time and practice but can be learned if you have the patience.


graphic via google


graphic via the graphics fairy


While I love the French designs, I also love getting creative and a little funky. One of my favorite pieces was the glazed blue empire chest that I graced with a cross and pair of wings. I did this by combining multiple graphics. I know this style isn't for everyone...but it is ME! Get Creative! It really is about putting your own personality into a piece!     ♥♥♥

graphics via google


How about this SWEET little owl nursery chest of drawers!  You could design an entire nursery around this one piece of furniture! 

graphic via google


A few before and afters for you....

{I had painted the cute solid oak chest in neutrals and it sat for months without selling. So I drug it home and painted this cute English Fig Soap graphic on it. It sold as soon as I put it out on the floor! Here she is in her new home} 
graphic via the graphics fairy


From Drab to FAB! 
graphic via the graphics fairy

 Be sure and come follow our current projects
on Facebook www.facebook.com/backroadsrevival.

Thanks for stopping by!
XOXO

8 comments:

  1. You do FABULOUS work, Melissa! (Visiting from The Graphics Fairy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! Very grateful for the feature! Much appreciation!!

      Delete
  2. You do awesome work!!!! Such beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to wax my first projector on a table top project. I can only hope that it completes as nice as yours have. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of projector do you use? Is it an overhead? What brand? Thank you. Your painting is spectacular! You have a real gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Loving your transfers!! I haven't tried the iron on, but yours look fantastic!! I would love to master this technique and I love appliques too!!!
    my page is www.facebook.com/imperfectlyperfectredesignedfurniture if you would like to stop by!

    ReplyDelete